Return to the Self-Help Services Home page Appeals Home Family Law Home Guardianship & Conservatorship Home Probate Home Glossaries Return to Court System Home psge

Court System Home » Representing Yourself » Court Fees & Fee Waiver

Court Fees & Fee Waiver

Court Fees | Fee Waiver

Court Fees

Administrative Rule 9 PDF sets the fee schedule for all court proceedings and services. Here are the fees for opening various cases.  There is a new $75 fee in divorce and custody cases to file a Motion to Modify Child Custody, Visitation or Support or Spousal Maintenance or Property Division.  In other cases, there are no additional fees once you have opened a case unless you request copies, etc.

Type Effective January 1, 2018
Adoption $100
Change of Name (child or adult) $200
Debt Collection up to $100,000 $150
Debt Collection over $100,000 $250
Depositing a Will $50
Divorce, Dissolution, Custody or Paternity $250
Motion to Modify Child Custody, Visitation or Support or Spousal Maintenance or Property Division
Joint or stipulated motion to modify child custody, visitation, or support or spousal maintenance or property division
1st motion to modify a custody or child support order issued by another state, tribe or country
Forcible Entry and Detainer (Eviction) with up to $100,000 in damages $150
Forcible Entry and Detainer (Eviction) with over $100,000 in damages $250
Guardianship $150
Probate of Estates $250
Protective Orders - Domestic Violence, Stalking, Sexual Assault, or Financial Abuse FREE
Registration of a Foreign Order
(except Registration of Foreign Child Support Order is FREE)
Small Claims $50 if dispute is $2,500 or less; $100 if dispute is more than $2,500
Certification of documents $10/first, $3 each additional
Copy fees per document (not page) $5/first, $3 each additional
Records research $30.00

Note: There are other fees associated with appealing a case.

Fee Waiver

If you cannot afford the fee, you may be eligible for a fee waiver. To ask the judge to waive your fees, you submit an:

Fee Waiver when Filing the Complaint or Starting the Case

Usually, you file the TF-920 with your complaint and other papers when you go to open your case. The court will hold on to your complaint until after the judge rules on the waiver. If it is granted, a summons will be issued. You cannot serve the other party until after you get the summons, and you will not get a summons until after the TF-920 has been ruled on. At some courts, you must return to the court to get your summons, other courts will issue it automatically after the waiver is granted.

Check with your local court to make sure you understand the procedure in using this form and getting the summons.

Fee Waiver When Filing a Motion to Modify

If you are requesting a fee waiver for a motion to modify, you should wait to serve the other side until you receive the fee waiver or pay the filing fee. Once you serve the other side, you'll need to file a certificate of service showing when and how you gave him/her a copy. You may file:

If you have not heard from the court within a week of filing the TF-920, be sure to call them. These requests are usually ruled upon within a few days.

14 November 2018
© Alaska Court System
Contact Us

PDF You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.