Return to the Self-Help Services Home page Appeals Home Family Law Home Guardianship & Conservatorship Home Probate Home Glossaries Return to Court System Home psge

Court System Home » Representing Yourself » Domestic Violence, Stalking or Sexual Assault

Domestic Violence, Stalking or Sexual Assault

You can petition for a protective order during regular court hours. The Anchorage court has extended hours at the Boney Courthouse, 303 K St., for protective order petitions Monday – Friday 8 am – 8 pm, Saturday and Sunday noon – 8 pm. Before you go, during the COVID-19 pandemic, read changes to the process in the Anchorage Court and for other court locations. Outside Anchorage, read information about petitioning for protective orders outside of regular court hours (Friday noon – Monday 8 am and holidays). You can also contact local law enforcement to ask them to help you request an emergency protective order, which if granted will be in effect for 72 hours.

There are 3 different types of protective orders (also called restraining orders) that can prohibit certain kinds of behavior, including contacting the person who requested the protective order:

Which order to ask for depends on whether you have a specific relationship defined in the law with the other side and what actions the other side took toward you that causes you fear and makes you feel like you need protection.

Please read the Quick Reference information to understand the different types of protective orders:
QUICK REFERENCE – Domestic Violence, Stalking and Sexual Assault Protective Orders PDF


A history of domestic violence between you and the other parent can affect the custody or visitation arrangement for your children. The law presumes that the parent who committed the domestic violence might not get custody and visitation unless he or she meets certain requirements. These may include completing a batterer’s intervention or substance abuse treatment program. To find domestic violence, the law does not require the existence of a protective order or criminal charges. The divorce or custody judge may ask about domestic violence. If there has been domestic violence, you should talk with a lawyer about how this law will impact your case. Read the statute at: AS 25.24.150(g)-(j).

Domestic Violence Shelters, Information and Safety Planning

If you or someone in your family is a victim of domestic violence, you are urged to contact your local shelter to speak to an advocate, or visit the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence website for information about resources and safety planning. If you are in the Mat-Su valley, Alaska Family Services provides shelter for women and children and counseling. Please call 746-4080 or toll free at 1-866-746-4080 to speak with the crisis intervention coordinator/legal advocate or go to 1825 S. Chugach St. in Palmer.

Return to top of page

Information for Petitioners About Requesting a Domestic Violence Protective Order - Forms and Instructions

To learn how to get a protective order in Alaska, read

Request a Domestic Violence Protective Order

There are 2 options for forms to request a protective order from the court:

Option 1

You can use the electronic wizard to fill out a domestic violence, stalking, or sexual assault civil protective order in Alaska. You may use paper forms in Option 2 if you prefer not to use the wizard.

Option 2

Form to ask the court to modify, extend or dissolve an order:

Return to top of page

Registering a Domestic Violence Protective Order From Another State

You don't have to file special forms at the court to register the protective order from another state. But for the police to enforce the out-of-state protective order, you can bring a certified copy to the court for filing. There is no filing fee. The clerk will send a copy of the filed order to Alaska law enforcement who will enter it into their system. The court or the police will not give the respondent a copy of the protective order or notice that you have filed the order with the Alaska court.

Return to top of page

Stalking or Sexual Assault Protective Order Forms and Instructions

There are Stalking Protective Orders and Sexual Assault Protective Orders, in addition to Domestic Violence Protective Orders. To get each of these protective orders, you need to convince the court that the respondent committed specific crimes. There is one petition form to request either a Stalking Protective Order or a Sexual Assault Protective Order. To see if you qualify for either of these orders, please read carefully the Instructions for Requesting a Protective Order Against Stalking or Sexual Assault, CIV-751PDF.

Stalking or Sexual Assault Protective Order Packet (CIV-750) - consists of the following forms:

Return to top of page

Information about Custody, Visitation and Child Support for Protective Orders

If you have children with the other party in a domestic violence protective order case, the judge may decide temporary custody of the children. The judge can decide a custody and visitation arrangement which will be in effect for one year if a long term order is granted. The judge can also order that the parent without custody pay child support.

Before you go to the hearing for the long term order, you should come up with a visitation plan that you want. To understand what a visitation plan is about, read the FAQs on Visitation (Word | PDF). You can also use the Visitation Plan & Child Support Worksheet (Word | PDF) to write down what you want to ask for at the hearing.

After the protective order expires, there will be no custody order in effect unless there already is a custody order from a divorce or custody case. Without a custody order, both parents have legal rights to the children. To avoid a time period when there is no custody order in effect, you may file a separate permanent custody action in Superior Court before your protective order expires. You can learn about filing a divorce or custody case or call the Family Law Self-Help Center.

Return to top of page

Help for Military Dependents or Service Members Who Are Experiencing Domestic Violence

If you are the dependent of an active duty military member or service member and experiencing domestic violence, there are many resources available to you from the military. Learn more about the Family Advocacy Program.

Military Protective Orders

Unit commanders may issue military protective orders (MPOs) to an active duty service member to protect a victim of domestic abuse/ violence or child abuse (the victim could be a service member or a civilian) on the military installation. To qualify, you must be the spouse/ ex-spouse, current or former intimate partner, or have a child in common with the abuser. A victim, victim advocate, installation law enforcement agency, or FAP clinician may request a commander to issue an MPO. Civilian abusers cannot be subject to MPOs. They may only be subject to a civil protective order issued by a state or tribal court. However, a commanding officer may order that the civilian abuser stay away from the installation. Learn more about MPOs.

Early Return of Dependents

Active duty military members are obligated to provide financial support to their spouse and/or children. As a military dependent you may be eligible for what the military refers to as an "Early/Advance Return of Dependents." This is a military policy that allows dependents to return to their home of origin at the military's expense. This is available to military dependents ONLY ONCE and includes the shipment of household goods. For more information, domestic violence victims can contact their military installation's Family Advocacy Program listed in the installation's phone book or call the Family Law Self-Help Center.

Return to top of page

Financial Help for Victims of Violent Crimes

The Violent Crimes Compensation Board was established in 1972 by the Alaska Legislature to help bring financial relief to innocent victims of violent crimes in Alaska. Some of the costs that can be paid include:

NOTE: You can NOT be paid for:

For more information, please see the Violent Crimes Compensation Board web page or call 907-465-3040.

Return to top of page

Domestic Violence Protective Orders Video

Note: The links to the videos go to an external website. You may not be able to view the videos using dial-up Internet access.

Return to top of page

Back to Parenting and Custody

Rev. 17 September 2018
© Alaska Court System
Contact Us

PDF You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.