Navigational bar, Family Law Self-Help Center, with photo of a totem pole Return to the Family Law Home page Family Law Forms & Instructions Frequently Asked Questions Glossary of Family Law Terms Alaska Court System website Feedback form

Registering Foreign (Out-Of-State) Orders

What is a foreign order?

A foreign order is a court order issued by state court in the United States other than Alaska, or a court of another country. For example, a child custody order from California is a foreign order in Alaska.

Why would I want to register it?

If you want the Alaska courts or Alaska police to take action here in Alaska on the court order you have from another state, you generally must register the foreign order in Alaska. Some people register a foreign order simply to be able to enforce it; other people register a foreign order as the first step in a modification procedure.

When can I register an order?

Registration of a valid foreign court order for the purpose of enforcement is allowed at any time, and is a fairly straightforward process. Registration for the purpose of a modification is much more complicated because only a court with jurisdiction can modify an order. The laws controlling jurisdiction are very complicated. If you have any questions at all, you are urged to seek the advice of an attorney.

How long does it take for the registration to become valid?

Once the court has processed your packet, the clerk's office will serve the documents on the other party. The other party has 20 calendar days from the date they received the notice to request a hearing. If they do not request a hearing, the order will be registered in Alaska.

After an order is registered, can I modify it?

If your original court order is from a state other than Alaska, you can only modify it here IF Alaska has jurisdiction.

There are different jurisdiction laws for child support than child custody. The laws controlling jurisdiction are very complicated. If you have any questions at all, you are urged to seek the advice of an attorney if you are trying to change the jurisdiction of your order.

If Alaska does have jurisdiction and I want to modify, what do I do?

To modify custody or support, you must file an appropriate motion. Please see the modification information page to learn more.

Are there different procedures for custody orders than support orders?

Yes. There are specific forms for registering a foreign custody order and for registering a foreign support order.

Can I register both at the same time?

Yes. You simply complete both sets of forms and file them together.

How much does it cost to register a foreign order?

Do I need to get a special copy of the court order I am trying to register?

Yes, you must obtain a certified or exemplified copy of the court order you are trying to register by making a request to the Clerk's Office of the court that issued the original order. If you are trying to register both the custody and support orders, you must get a certified or exemplified copy of each one.

What am I required to file with the court to register a foreign order?

You must submit the following packet to the court at which you want to register:

  1. One certified or exemplified copy of the original order.
  2. One photocopy of the certified or exemplified original order.
  3. For Custody:
  4. For Child Support:
  5. You need to tell the court how you want it to deliver the documents to the opposing party by:
  6. The filing fee of $150 if you are registering BOTH a foreign child custody order and a foreign support order together, or ONLY a child custody order. If you cannot afford $150, you can file a Request for Exemption for Payment of Fees, TF-920 Adobe Acrobat PDF logo . If you are registering ONLY a foreign support order, it is FREE.
  7. Case description form, CIV-125S Adobe Acrobat PDF logo

Do I have to register a domestic violence protective order from another state?

You don't have to file special forms at the court to register the protective order from another state. But for the police to enforce the out-of-state protective order, you can bring a certified copy to the court for filing. There is no filing fee. The clerk will send a copy of the filed order to Alaska law enforcement who will enter it into their system. The court or the police will not give the respondent a copy of the protective order or notice that you have filed the order with the Alaska court.

Rev. 13 September 2011
© Alaska Court System

Adobe Acrobat PDF logo You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.