Self-Help Center:  Family Law Return to the Family Law Home page FAQs about Divorce, Dissolution and Custody Cases Family Law Forms Glossary of Family Law Terms Alaska Court System homepage Feedback Form

Court System Home » Representing Yourself » Family Law Self-Help Center » Powers of Attorney & Health Care Directives

Powers of Attorney & Health Care Directives

Power of Attorney for care of a child

A parent may choose to delegate his or her parental rights to another person for up to one year. This is often called a Delegation of Powers by Parent or Guardian. It can be revoked by the parents or guardians at any time for any reason, AS 13.26.066. You can fill out Power of Attorney Over a Minor By Parent or Guardian, PG-701 PDF. You will need to check a box stating whether you are delegating all or specific limited powers and responsibilities to another person and also fill in the amount of time it will be valid. You do not file this form in court, but instead provide it to the person to whom you are delegating powers and keep a copy for yourself.

Power of Attorney for an adult

For information about making a power of attorney for an adult, please see Alaska Legal Services's Power of Attorney form & instructions: Word | Fill-In PDF

To understand how a power of attorney is different from a guardianship, please see Office of Public Advocacy's Public Guardian information page.

Health Care Directives

For information about health care directives and living wills, please see Alaska Legal Services Corporation's Advance Health Care Directive forms and instructions (Word Document).

2 August 2018
© Alaska Court System
Contact Us

PDF You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.