Navigational bar, Family Law Self-Help Center, with photo of a totem pole Return to the Family Law Home page Family Law Forms & Instructions Frequently Asked Questions Glossary of Family Law Terms Alaska Court System website Feedback form

Motions, Modifications and Enforcement - Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do when I need to talk to the judge?

There are only two ways to talk to the judge:

  1. In person, at a hearing scheduled by the judge, with both sides present;


  2. On paper, written in a motion that was given to the other side so that the judge can hear their side of the story too.

Are there things I cannot do?

Why can't I have one-sided conversations?

What is a motion?

How much time will I have to respond?

Summary of the timeline for motion practice

Summary of Motion Practice

- Affidavit and Memorandum
- Order

- Affidavit and Memorandum
- Order
This is due 10 days (plus 3 days if mailed) after the motion was mailed or delivered to you
Reply This is due 5 days (plus 3 days if mailed) after the opposition was mailed or delivered to you

Remember: in most cases, the judge will not look at any paperwork until all of this time has run. In other words, a motion may not even go to the judges office until 2-3 weeks after it was first filed.

What forms do I file for a motion?

What forms do I file for an opposition?

What forms do I file for a reply?

When can I file a motion?

When you need a court order.

What can I ask for in a pre-trial or interim motion?

How can I modify my decree?

How can I enforce my decree?

Is there anything special I need to do with a post-judgment motion?

Other resources

Rev. 20 November 2007
© Alaska Court System
Contact Us

Adobe Acrobat PDF logo You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.