Zoom Hearings and Meetings
Note: Click on a question to expand or collapse content.
- PC, Laptop, Phone, or Tablet
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in, USB plug-in, or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
- Zoom supported operating system, tablet or mobile device
Zoom has a lot of settings, and as the system updates, certain aspects or features may change. Below are a few settings recommended by the court to improve your experience.
To help prevent you from accidentally leaving the meeting:
- General: Ask me to confirm when I leave a meeting: ON
To help prevent poor video performance:
- Video: Enable HD: OFF
To verify your video is displaying correctly:
- Video: Always show video preview dialog when joining a video meeting: ON
To see who else is on the call:
- Video: Always display participant names on their video: ON
Important: Any recording of a court proceeding held by video or teleconference, including “screen-shots” or other visual copying of a hearing, is absolutely prohibited.
- Mute your phone, and mute all sounds from all other applications (email notifications, chat messaging, etc.).
- Avoid using battery power only, plug into a good power source while in a Zoom meeting.
- Avoid noisy and echoing locations. Use of a headset will improve audio quality when this is unavoidable.
- Avoid distracting real or virtual backgrounds. Choose a solid neutral wall if possible.
- Avoid poor camera positioning (if possible). Try to frame yourself so you take up most the screen, at eye level.
- Check the lighting. Light from a window behind you might blind the camera, making the image look dark. Light above you in the center of a room might also cast shadows. Ideally, position a lamp, or sit facing a window, where light is directly on your face. Also be aware that your monitor casts light that can make you look blue.
- When speaking, remember to look directly at the webcam, not at the screen.
- Dress in a soft solid color. If a tie is worn, use a solid tie rather than one with a pattern.
- Avoid running any unnecessary applications besides Zoom, to conserve your computer’s processing power and internet connection.
- Test your connection and setup with Zoom by testing your connection at https://zoom.us/test
- If you are using your phone, turn it sideways
Fill out and submit the form TF-718 Request for Remote Video Hearing.