Navigational bar with photo of a totem pole Home Appellate case management system, appellate forms, oral argument calendars, slip opinions Court directory, forms, employment bulletins, frequently asked questions, law library, transcribers Court Forms Trial Court Case Databases Court Rules Court calendars, family law self-help center,  juror information, public outreach, therapeutic courts, trial court opinions Statutes, administrative code, court rules, jury instructions, municipal codes, supreme court orders

Marriage Commissioner Information

Under Alaska Statute 25.05.261(a)(2) 1, anyone can perform your marriage ceremony, including a friend or relative, if they first obtain a marriage commissioner appointment from an Alaskan court as authorized by AS The person should be 18 years of age or older, and does not need to be a resident of Alaska or the United States in order to perform the ceremony.

The marriage license application and instructions are available on the Vital Statistics website.

How to Obtain a Marriage Commissioner Appointment

  1. Contact (by phone, by mail or fax, or in person) the court nearest to where the wedding will be performed. The online court system directory has a complete listing of court locations and contact information. You may also contact the office which handles requests for marriage commissioner appointments in the judicial district of the court nearest to where the wedding will be performed. See Alaska courts listed by judicial district to determine the district. Procedures vary by judicial district; there is no online application form.

    First Judicial District

    Attn: Area Court Administrator's Administrative Assistant
    Juneau Trial Courts
    P.O. Box 114100
    Juneau, AK 99811
    (907) 463-4765
    FAX (907) 463-4720

    Second Judicial District Attn: Presiding Judge's Judicial Assistant
    Barrow Trial Courts
    P.O. Box 270
    Barrow, AK 99723
    (907) 852-4800
    FAX 907-852-4804
    Third Judicial District Anchorage Trial Courts
    Customer Service Division
    825 West 4th Ave.
    Anchorage, AK 99501-2004
    (907) 264-0514
    FAX (907) 264-0610
    Fourth Judicial District Fairbanks Trial Courts
    Court Services Department
    101 Lacey Street
    Fairbanks, AK 99701
    (907) 452-9277
    FAX (907) 452-9330
  2. The court will need the following information:
  3. There is no charge or waiting period for this appointment. However, applications submitted in the First Judicial District should be submitted at least two weeks before the wedding date to allow time for the appointment to be processed. In the Fourth Judicial District, applications should be submitted at least one week before the wedding.
  4. The court will issue a written order appointing the marriage commissioner together with instructions. The marriage commissioner is responsible for ensuring that the marriage is performed in compliance with the law and that the marriage certificate is filed with the Bureau of Vital Statistics.
  5. The marriage should not be performed until the marriage commissioner has a copy of the written order in hand.
  6. If the marriage is not performed on the date stated in the order, a new marriage commissioner appointment order must be obtained.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: It is the responsibility of the couple to be married to apply for and pick up a marriage license. A marriage commissioner does not have the authority to obtain the marriage license for the couple.

1 Sec. 25.05.261. Who may solemnize.

(a) Marriages may be solemnized

(1) by a minister, priest, or rabbi of any church or congregation in the state, or by a commissioned officer of the Salvation Army, or by the principal officer or elder of recognized churches or congregations that traditionally do not have regular ministers, priests, or rabbis, anywhere within the state;

(2) by a marriage commissioner or judicial officer of the state anywhere within the jurisdiction of the commissioner or officer; or

(3) before or in any religious organization or congregation according to the established ritual or form commonly practiced in the organization or congregation.

(b) This section may not be construed to waive the requirements for obtaining a marriage license.

2 Sec. 25.05.081. Marriage commissioners.

The presiding judge in each judicial district may, if the public interest requires, appoint one or more suitable persons as marriage commissioners. The presiding judge shall describe the marriage commissioner's area of jurisdiction in the order of appointment. A marriage commissioner may, within that jurisdiction, solemnize marriages in the same manner as a district judge or magistrate judge and may exercise any power, other than the power to issue marriage licenses, necessarily incident to the duties of a marriage commissioner. The clerk of court shall issue to the marriage commissioner a certified copy of the order of appointment and send a copy of it to the bureau.

Rev. 13 October 2014
© Alaska Court System

Adobe Acrobat PDF logo You'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view and print documents with this symbol. If you are using a screen reader, get support and information at the Adobe Access website.